- ½ cup sweet rice flour (glutinous rice flour)
- Punch of salt
- ¼ cup hot boiling water
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- Edible flowers
— Make rice cake —
- Combine sweet rice flour and salt in a bowl.
- Add ¼ cup hot water and mix well with a wooden spoon until the dough has 3.cooled enough that you can knead it by hand.
- Knead the dough until it’s smooth, then divide it into 5 equal-sized pieces. Roll each piece into a ball. Keep them covered with a piece of plastic wrap so they don’t dry out.
- Press each rice cake ball into a disc about 2½ inches (6 to 7 cm) in diameter.
— Pan Fry —
- Heat up a non-stick pan over medium high heat. Add 2 teaspoons vegetable oil, swirling the pan to coat the surface. Once it’s heated up, turn the heat down very low. The key to beautiful hwajeon is to keep them white by pan-frying over low heat.
- Put the rice cakes on the pan and cook them for a few minutes. When the bottoms are slightly crispy turn them over and flatten them out with a spatula. Cook a few more minutes.
- Place edible flowers on the top of each rice cake, then flip them over and press them down for 1 or 2 seconds so that the flower gets slightly cooked and sticks to the cake.
- Cook each one and put them on a serving plate.
- Drizzle the syrup on top of the rice cakes.
— Make syrup —
- Put sugar and water in a small sauce pot. Cook over low heat and simmer for 5 minutes
- Make sure it gets well combined in the pot by swirling the pot every now and then. But never stir it with a spoon.
Remove from the heat and cool down. Set aside.